[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 05:44:57 UTC 2011

Greg,

Your elitist attitude is off base here.  I find it interesting that you’re unable to express, in
your own words, what the difference is between Type “A” and “B.”  So far, it seems, all you’ve
done is repeat heresy from a blogger.  Choosing to belittle people instead of discussing the
validity of a stated view does little for the discussion.  Your posting suggests choosing
differently establishes one to be of diminished capacity and not worthy of your presumed
excellency.  Well, that surely straightened me out, lest I befall not getting crowned with the
“inner” group.

Using your listed references, Type “A” uncertainty is direct knowledge from a known set of
measurements made by the party defining the Type “A” uncertainty.  Whereas, Type “B” uncertainty
is the lack of having direct knowledge and thus relying on other data collected from sources
other than yourself.  This encompasses information published from outside sources such as the
manufacturer’s specifications and even unsubstantiated and un-quantified experience, no matter
how valid.

The difference is either knowing for sure or assuming what you’re told is correct.  This only
applies to the person who is anointing the declared uncertainty.  The customer will always fall
under Type “B,” by definition, as he has no way of getting to Type “A.”  If the customer did have
a way of getting to Type “A” directly, then he would not need external services because he would
have direct knowledge.  Yes !  That is deceptively simple.  Perhaps all that math sprinkled all
over those reports masked the simple answer.

Well, my friend, while you’re gloating over that $500 steak dinner in a fancy restaurant, I think
I will enjoy a Teriyaki Chicken rice bowl at Jack-In-The-Box.

Bill....WB6BNQ

p.s.  By the way you had the Type of Type regarding the 3458A backwards in a previous email.