[volt-nuts] DIY JJ was Re: HP 3458A

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Aug 9 14:56:45 UTC 2011

Back when I was in graduate school, we had undergraduates that
were making quite acceptable power transistors on an old fab line
that came from Westinghouse.  This was in the late 70's, early 80's.
We also had graduate students that were making neural networks and
other more complex analog integrated circuits on the same fab line.

It is very doable.

Making IC's and microprocessors is now a standard two semester
course in virtually all EE undergraduate programs.... it all started
with the Conway and Meade textbook in the late 70's, early 80's.
The kids study the techniques, and nail down their architecture in
the first semester, and by the end of the second semester they receive
their fab'd devices, and test and present.

I know of amateurs that own and operate electron microscopes in their
home labs.

-Chuck Harris