[volt-nuts] Looking for Fluke 845AB manual

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Wed Aug 24 02:14:01 UTC 2011

David wrote:

>You can purchase a complete high quality PDF of the 845A/AB manual
>from Dave Henderson at http://www.artekmedia.com .  I just purchased
>a download of the manual for $10 US, and can vouch for its
>quality.   Very clear scans, with NO MISSING PAGES.  It's P/N
>294173, dated November 1967 copyright 1981.

I have a couple of the Artek manuals.  I agree they are nice scans,
but I will never buy another one until they quit maxing out the
password security.  The ones I have are screwed down so tight you
can't even rotate the pages to look at sideways schematics right-side
up on the monitor.  All I care about is the original manual
contents.  I don't care about the added features (OCR, bookmarking,
whatever) -- in fact, I'd prefer that they weren't there, so I didn't
have to close the bookmark window every time I opened the
manual.  But you can't even use the basic scans as intended because
of the insane security.  Anyone who is that paranoid about his
product can keep it.

>as Bill notes, there is a change/errata note in the manual on
>Fluke's website that says:
>A major circuit modification has been made to the Fluke Model 845AB.
>This change entails the complete redesign of the Photo Modulator,
>previously based on photo-conductive resistors. The new circuit now
>employs optically-isolated Bilateral Analog FETs, and is fabricated
>on an additional circuit board.
>
>Does anyone have any info on the design changes described in the
>errata note?  The old photo modulator/demodulator design used by
>Fluke and HP is troublesome due to deteriation of the photoresistors
>and neon bulbs,  I surely would like to see a schematic & parts list
>of the design change.

Does anybody know with certainty if Fluke actually made any of the
FET-switched units?

Best regards,

Charles

ps.  Another list member has kindly contributed scans of the missing
pages for the 845A/AB manual.  I will assemble a complete PDF and see
that it is uploaded to Didier's site, but it may take me a week or two.