[volt-nuts] Resistance Standard Oil - Plain Mineral Oil?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Nov 26 02:32:04 UTC 2011

Thanks for everyone's reply.  If all it takes is just plain old Mineral Oil,
I can get that easily at the local grocery or drug store.

Mitch, have you received the Drakeol yet?

I also have a Leeds & Northrup 0.1 ohm and a GRAY Inst. Co. 10000 ohm
Standard Resistor, both of which came with oil.  Their oil, though, is very
dark with quite the odor.  Somehow, I don't think plain old Mineral Oil is
quite the same.  If it is an acceptable substitute, I can certainly get it
very easily.

I had always thought the oil was as much for elimination of moisture as it
was for insulation.  Also, of course, it seems to be for the purpose of
adding some 'thermal mass'.

Joe