[volt-nuts] Serious problems fluke 731A, 720 and solartron

Fred pa4tim at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 18:18:48 UTC 2011

Thanks, I will look to that. But after it nulls again (earth problem
fixed and put the solartron on the same group as the calibrators the
problem is less. So I am going to make more work from the shielding and
guarding.

A replaced the opamp in the 731A. I did not believe it was the problem
but it was not much work so worth to try.
But it did not matter. No difference. I simululated the circuit in spice
and when I short out the compensating transistor I get the same results
as in real live. I think my Vref is now just the voltage divider made
from R5 ( paralleled by R8A) and R8B so that is why the other dividers
have influence.

So first I will test the behavour of Vref (Most times I try to figure it
out on paper and simulation after first global measurement results, and
if I find the problem like that, I start to measure the specific things
I need to know if I'm right. Maybe a bit an unusual methode but it works
for me ;-) )

I bought a BBC Servogor writer. i connected my 845 between the 332 and
my homebuild reference. Put it on the 30uV scale, the writer on the
output. In the 10mV/cm position. But I am terrible at math. So 30uV is
100 cm, 1 cm is 300nV. I placed a 10uF cap over the writer output to
suppress spikes and short time effects, ect and now it is writing at
3cm/hour. I turned it on when still cool but it got hot this afternoon
In about an hour the line moved a few mm to the right (also still a bit
warming up of the instruments I think) but after that the writer writes
a straight line. I leave it on this night. Nice experiment. After that I
want to look at short time noise but then I have to limmit the
bandwidth.

What is the best way to get a good measurement ?

Fred