[volt-nuts] Keithley 2002 Q

Frank Stellmach frank.stellmach at freenet.de
Fri Oct 7 00:09:47 UTC 2011

@ mitch:

The 3458A also has the OCOMP feature in the OHM modus (automatic
substraction of thermal voltages).

Disadvantage is the temperature sensitive, unstable OHM reference, and
the high timely drift.

A well ventilated cellar improves thingshat a lot .. I managed to reach
there sub ppm OHM transfer stability (~ 0.2 ppm during 1h), although
this is not specified at all.

The 1nV resolution is superior on the 2002; the 3458A delivers 10nV only
via Display (perhaps more and stable resolution via GPIB; I didn't yet
understand completely the comparison document from Yongbin Leng).

I encountered big programming trouble on the ancient Kethley 195A and
199A DMMs, should be gone on the 2002, but never saw that on any HP
boxes. Latter ones firmwares are more stable than anything else to my
opinion.

The biggest advantage of the 3458A is the artifact calibration (complete
AUTOCAL) with only two different sources.

Didn't check, if the Keithley also got this feature, as a better
differential linearity than 0.2ppm should be required, like in the
3458A. Frequent AUTOCALl helps to mitigate thermal instabilities, apart
from its OHM cal drift.

Frank