[volt-nuts] Safe power-up. was (Solartron 7075 ...)

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 22:00:41 UTC 2011

Power factor correction power supplies has not been a BIG problem with my
OLD recycled equipment.
I tried to Cover that case in my end note,
With switchers, turn the variact to normal and use the other safety features
and a big enough light bulb to keep from blowing it all up if something is
wrong.

ws

*****************

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk

>In message "WarrenS" writes:
>
>I don't plug ANYTHING new to me, directly into the line the first time I
>try
>it.
>(especially if it had a blown fuse)
>
>Here is the solution that I use for a universal, general purpose, tester
>for
>Old (and new) equipment.

That procedure is fine for linear power-supplies, but not resonably
modern switch-modes.  In particular, anything that has PFC correction
is not going to respond too well to variable voltage like that.