[volt-nuts] LTZ1000 at higher currents

m k m1k3k1 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:04:03 UTC 2011

Hi John,
The cooling comment is because when you reduce the airflow enough to reduce the thermocouple effects on the pcb you may well raise the temp just outside the LTZ1000 can to significantly above 20c.
For a homebrew oil immersion will significantly reduce thermal effects.
Currently I am wondering how much the pickering patent is useful for a homebrew as one then has just transferred the stability issues onto the sample and hold circuit, as that requires sub ppm accuracy there.
We know that at 95/97C that the HP reference is set to gives higher drift. So that sets an upper limit on the current to run through the zener. I am also wondering why they give 5mA as the upper limit? Is it possible that the zener is so small that above 5mA one has current coming out through the shoulder of the end of the zener? By design the diffusions give the lowest breakdown voltage at the planar end portion, and the shoulders have progressively higher breakdown to keep the current away from the surface. BUT, if that was so the pickering patent method would not work. The zener tempco will be higher at higher currents and it will be more sensitive to orientation at higher temperatures too, so that would limit my enthusiasm to run it too hard.
I am still pondering all that while I try and burn in my LTZ sample.
M K