[volt-nuts] 3458A Questions - RAM size opt. 01

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Oct 29 23:20:53 UTC 2011

Frank,

Great information!  I think I will chase down the four chips, install them
and see what happens.

My conundrum is that if I send it back to Agilent for their 'Repair Per
Incident' for $2300+, will they change the A5 board or not?  If not, and
they just change the chips, as they have suggested is their preference, then
I would plan on removing the EPROM and the three Dallas chips (since they
need to be changed from time to time given their on board batteries),
installing sockets, archiving the chips (along with the data on any chips
Agilent might install), then reinstalling the chips.  However, if they are
going to change the board and give me the updated board with the on board
batteries, there would be no point in doing that other than archiving the
data.

If I give Agilent a '001' meter for repair, and they change the A5 board,
hopefully I will get a new '001' A5 board in return, all for the cost of
just the chips.

I guess I'll just have to ask them.

Joe