[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards

Rob Klein rob.klein at smalldesign.nl
Thu Sep 1 19:32:52 UTC 2011

Fred,

Fellow Dutch Volt-nut here :-)

Op 1-9-2011 9:20, Fred Schneider schreef:
> I am thinking about doing a bit calibrating as a sort of service and to earn some money to spend on calibrating my stuff ( p.e. the 731A transfer standard) with our national standard buro. so not to make money on it, just to cover expenses.
Last time I asked, Fluke charges 890 Euro (ex. VAT) for the calibration
of a 732A. I very much doubt NMi will be any cheaper than that.

> But he problem is I, have no clue what to ask and if there is. Market.

This, too, I very much doubt. The people that *need* their stuff
calibrated will go to a certified lab anyway and the rest probably
doesn't really care (or even recognise the need for regular
calibration). And you did describe the Dutch attitude towards spending
money all too well, I'm afraid :-(.

As for myself, I'm lucky enough to have made a job out of my hobby and
being self-employed I can easily justify having both my Fluke 8842 and
my HP3457 calibrated annually. Someday I will have my 732 and my
recently acquired SR104 calibrated, but at the moment, other things
(well, "things"; my one-year old, actually ;-) ) take precedence.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you want any further discussion or
if you require any assistance I might be able to offer.

Best regards,
Rob.