[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081, other meters, and some voltage standards

Bill Ezell wje at quackers.net
Sat Sep 3 13:05:34 UTC 2011

I have a 7081, and it has been remarkably stable. I have two Datron 4910
voltage standards, calibrated by Fluke at an outrageous cost. I compare
the 7081 to them both regularly.
I've found that I rarely have to recalibrate (maybe once every year) to
maintain 1ppm on the 10V range. It's quite amazing.

BTW, the reference in the 7081 isn't an LTZ1000, or even an ovenized
reference. It's just a plain old 1N849A with a tc of 5ppm/degC
worst-case. Solartron then biases it via a DAC to the current that gives
minimum tc (factory calibration), and then adds a temperature-dependent
2nd-order compensation voltage to the result. Brilliant bit of engineering.

And yes, aging is a wonderful thing.

--
Bill Ezell