[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards - Measuring Protocol

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 18:17:46 UTC 2011

Andreas

Nice data
The name 'noise' of a high precision reference can mean many things.
The band width limited noise between 0.1Hz and 10 Hz, what is sometimes
measured, and what I think is displayed on your scope picture,
is not the 'Problem noise' for sub PPM references.
The problem noise is the much lower frequency, random happening voltage
steps, that can occur from several times a hour to several times a minute,
and each last for a random length of time, from seconds to minutes to
forever.
That type of noise can not easily be filtered out with a simple long time
constant RC or averaging.
I'd guess that "Pop Corn noise" is what is happening in your LM399 (#1) that
is making it "Less Stable".
To measure the presence of that kind of noise, an hour plus long graph
showing the high resolution voltage, using about a 10 sec filter, works
good.
The best way to reduce that kind of noise is first by selection and them by
paralleling several low noise references so that the output is the Average
of all the devices.

ws

***************
***************
[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards - Measuring Protocol
Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de

Hello Warren,

I'm sorry that it got not very clear with the noise.
Most of the noise shown in my diagram is not from the LM399 but from my ADC.

When measuring the LM399 #2 alone I have around 1ppm of low frequency noise
( around 6,5uVpp)
Attached a typical measurement with the oscilloscope and a 4th order
bandpass-amplifier.
1 ppm (pp) noise is not too bad compared to the 0.6ppm of typical buried
zener references like MAX6350.

My other LM399 (#1) has only around 4 uVpp noise.
But this reference is far less stable over time than LM399 #2.
(although I have heard that with zeners the stability can
be derrived from change of noise before and after pre-ageing).

Of course noise is dependant on the zener current. So with the
1mA of the LM399 you will never reach the low noise values
of a 7.5mA 1N82x or the 5mA LTZ1000.

With best regards

Andreas