[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 noise

gbusg gbusg at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 18:40:31 UTC 2011

Excellent work, Mickle!

Nice touch adding the PTFE standoff insulators. How did you make connections
on the trace-side to the PTFE stand-offs? (To reduce leakage and dielectric
absorption, I assume you ran hard-wires instead of using existing PCB
traces?)

Your PCB leakage problem reminds me of a similar problem Sony had with a
high-impedance circuit back in the seventies. The problem began showing-up
in older units of that model after years of use. Technicians were able to
temporarily eliminate the electrical leakage currents by spraying the area
with PCB cleaner solutions. But the problem would return in a few months.
Finally Sony determined the problem was caused by bacterial growth in higher
humidity environments due to a contamination problem at the factory when the
products were made. Interestingly, Sony then released a Service Note,
recommending that you spray the area with super-cold Freon to kill the
bacteria by freezing it. ...I tried that approach and it worked. I've never
forgotten that situation, because it was so counterintuitive and strange!

Apparently according to the 7081 manual, its integration time is determined
by the Scale Length you select, hence number of digits displayed? So
apparently your 7 1/2 digits resolution corresponds to 3.2 seconds
integration time. Do I have that right?

It might be interesting if some other 7081 users will duplicate your tests
for comparison.

Cheers,
Greg