[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 Test Leads

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Tue Sep 13 03:55:09 UTC 2011

Chris,

I share your frustration about the 'special' connector for the test leads.
However, it is an 'off the shelf' item from Fischer Connectors.  In
addition, I am partial to trying to keep my instruments in their 'factory
original' configuration if possible.  I don't know what it was that made
them design the meter the way they did but Mickle's thought that is was to
minimize the tempco issues is as plausible as any I can come up with.

That being said, I wonder if one could capitalize on the connector by
utilizing it's ability to 'lock' the connector in place, requiring the outer
sleeve to be 'pulled' in order to disconnect it.

I wonder if a small box could be constructed with outer dimensions of which
would be the same as the small vertical rectangle on the right hand side of
the panel that contains the 'CAL' switch, the 'Front/Rear' switch and the
connector.  If the dimensions were able to just fit inside the opening
(there is about an eighth inch lip or recess) with a 'rear panel' onto which
one could mount a panel mount male connector (also an off the shelf item
with Fischer) and with a 'front panel' that would mount 5 binding posts with
the appropriate spacing which would be wired to the connector.  It would
require some sort of 'release' mechanism to 'release' the sleeve and allow
the unit to be removed.  It would be nice to incorporate some sort of 'push
button' to activate the 'Front/Rear' switch.

If successful, it would require no modifications to the 7081 itself and be
easily removable to have access to the 'CAL' switch and put the meter back
in it's 'factory original' state, leaving no mark behind.

The only limitation I see is whether or not the front panel connector is
structurally sound enough to tolerate the day to day connections and
disconnections of banana plugs.

It would require some effort but I would be interested in such an item.  It
would appear that Mickle has the necessary machining talents to pull this
off.

Joe