[volt-nuts] HP 3456A Setup

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 10:41:56 UTC 2011

Part of the Fun and challenge for some volt nuts is learning new ways to get
the most from their old equipment.

An accuracy test I did on my HP3456A, 6 digit DMM, was to connect it to my
Fluke 720A type 7 digit Kelvin Varley voltage divider
and by using the 3456A's null function to correct for zero offset, and
adjusting the value of the 10 Volts going to
the resistive divider to compensate for any Full Scale gain errors on each
of the DMM ranges,
All those "glowing red digits" on the HP3456A read the same, with-in 1
count, as the knob numbers on the divider for every position of the dials.
The results where the same on the 100 mv, 1V and 10 V ranges, in both
polarities doing this short term test.

True this is Not absolute accuracy, for that one would need a voltage
standard known to better than 1 PPM,
but it is relative accuracy, aka linearity, and shows what kind of
resolution, linearity and accuracy is possible short term.
Easy enough to make repeatable, meaningful, measurements that are within one
count on the HP3456A .
So the stated 56 count error can be lowered to be one count max with a
little knowledge and effort.
And the HP3456A is certainly capable of measuring voltage down to 0.1 uV
accuracy, if one has the skill and knowledge to use it (and is not in a
hurry).

OR better!
Another test I did was to measure where the HP3456A's LS digit readout would
switch between any two adjacent numbers, from say a solid 1004 to a solid
1005.
The measured width of the toggle noise at the lower end of the 10 volt range
was under 0.1 count.
In other words the 6 digit DMM could be used to get 7 digit resolution by
adjusting the input voltage to toggle between values.

All test where done with AZ on, Filter off, 100 cyc int selected, and 6
digits selected.
This gives about one new reading every 3 seconds and averages for 100 line
cycles.

If you really want to go ALL out nuts, you can average any number of
readings using the built in "mean" average of n samples.
But because the noise is so low, you still only end up with 6 digits of
resolution unless you add greater than 1 count of non noise dither.
I'll have to try that some day and see how good of a 7 digit meter it makes.

Got to love those HP volt meters.

Having lots of nut fun
ws