[volt-nuts] Removal of tinning from copper wire

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 19:48:28 UTC 2011

J.

Thanks for the pointer to Craig's post and the replies which I had in fact found earlier in the day, so I was aware of the options in that thread.  However I was specifically asking for the CuSO4 and NaCl mixture, and still want to know the right proportions as I have some other stuff to strip tinning from.  Thinks - will this also work with nickel plate?

However another post quite rightly pointed out that I hadn't considered the issue of wicking of the etchant liquid up the wire.

So: I am almost certain the cable is Def-Stan 61-12 part 5, so the wire will just be tinned copper, so I suspect my best bet will be to leave the plating in place and solder the connectors using the Sn/Cd solder (with adequate ventilation).

Does that sound sensible?

Dave