[volt-nuts] Zener selection: was Traveling Standards - Measuring Protocol

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Sat Sep 24 21:38:28 UTC 2011

Hello Warren,

to come back to your zener diode selections:

- do you have any source where the selection of zener diodes is described?
I have read on a german page that zeners are selected by
their "noise characteristic". And that the noise will show the long term
behaviour.
But its not described which kind of noise has an influence.
Is it broad-band noise? 0.1 to 10 Hz noise? or even the lower frequency
noise (which you have recorded on the strip chart recorder).

>From the german link it is not clear wether the selection is
according to the value of the noise or the change before
and after pre-ageing.

And the bad news is that my LM399#1 which is drifting
much more than my LM399#2 has only about 50% of
0.1 to 10 Hz noise than the LM399#2.

By the way how do you make the plots?
Do you always record the difference of two similar devices to
compensate for the DC-Offset?
Has the strip chart recorder 1uV resolution or do you have
to add a pre-amplifier? (which one?).
The 10 second time constant: is it built in within the recorder
or external (low-ohmic / high ohmic resistor + what kind of capacitor)

with best regards

Andreas