[volt-nuts] How to wire a serial cable for a Solartron 7151

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Sat Apr 14 17:19:58 UTC 2012

Hmmmm I may be getting somewhere. but not quite sure where.

I swapped Tx and Rx, RTS and CTS so I had a very basic null-modem connection.

With the DIP switches set for 9600 baud, Space Parity and 2 stop bits.

I set Hyperterminal up for 9600,8,S,2

When I connect I now get output from the meter, but it is garbage.

Knpxpywpp`@6`
knpxtwvyp@`@
KNpxxtvtp``6@
kNpyrpqtp@`6@
kNpyututp@`@
KNpyypvup`@6`
KNqpruuyp`@6`
kNqpvpwwp``6@

If I set hyperterminal to any other settings I get nothing at all.

This almost sounds like the problem that people who use TTL serial have with inverted logic levels.

The problem is identical if I try with another 7151.

Dave