[volt-nuts] DIY Air bath

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 04:15:01 UTC 2012

The blower/fan is only to keep the air swirling around the box and
mixing
although it may be better if it is just upstream of the heater, so
there is
maximum velocity over the heater.
If the box has volume of a cubic metre is contains 1.2Kg of air.
That has a specific heat of 1000 J.Kg/degC. In other words,
one watt will heat it one degree C in 1000 seconds,
100 watts in 10 seconds. This does not take heat losses into account.
If it is losing 20 watts then a 30 watt heater will heat it at a rate
of one degree in
100 seconds, so a one second response time from the thermistor will
control the temperature to a 1/100 degree overshoot. The overshoot is
what degrades control, so if your heater takes 10 seconds to cool you
have a 1/10 degree overshoot.
Incandescent light bulbs are good because they do not store much heat
and if you need more heater power you just plug in a bigger bulb.
Best control is a 50% duty cycle, there is power up your sleeve and the
overshoot is not too great.
The best heater would be a frame with nichrome wire making  a grid
with the air blowing through it, but for convenience and safety bulbs
are
hard to beat.
Use an opto-isolated solid state relay with zero voltage switching
and there will be less QRM.
Put 2 bulbs in series gives more surface area and longer life in the
rapid switching regime although bulb failure was not a great problem.

cheers, Neville Michie