[volt-nuts] DIY Air bath

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:37:12 UTC 2012

I think it is because momentum is better conserved in a big swirl
whereas if you break the stirring into smaller cells they decay much
faster leaving
dead spots or areas that are under mixed.
The shear of the large swirl draws in the peripheral zones and the
density differentials
tend to aid the mixing.
What is certain is that quite a small amount of power in a grand
swirl does as much good as much more power in smaller
distributed cells.

I have also used the technique with a window air condtioner. A
special thermistor controlled circuit reduced the cycling of the
conditioner to less than 0.5 degrees. The compressor requires a
special algorithm where when the compressor cuts out it is inhibited
from starting until it has had 120 seconds to lose its back pressure.
Otherwise it starts or stops within a second of the setpoint crossing.
This algorithm increased the service life over other units that
relied on the standard hysteresis based mechanical thermal switches.
Two small computer fans were enough to maintain the swirl in a 4 by 6
metre laboratory.
I built more than 5 such installations.

cheers, Neville Michie