[volt-nuts] HP 3458A DC current accuracy

Laurence Motteram LMotteram at scientific-devices.com.au
Tue Jul 10 23:01:13 UTC 2012

Hello Tony,

With the normal DMM current shunt arrangement, the tradeoff is lower
burden equals lower signal voltage.  Basically, the DMM uses a shunt and
measures voltage on its 100mV range.

But the DMM design is optimized for voltage, and the current range
switching introduces additional relay contacts etc, so the 100mV signal
is degraded by thermal voltages etc.

The shunt, even an expensive good one, will get a bit warm, thus
generating thermal voltages.  My experience with Datron 1271 at 1 Amp or
the Fluke 8508A at 10 Amps is that the thermal offset is the greatest
error source.  E.g. zero the range exactly, and then supply full scale
current.  The readings drift away for a long time.  Remove the current,
and the zero has now offset, by nearly exactly the same amount as the
difference of full scale readings from cold to hot.  After a while, the
zero will come back to the original exact null.  Thus, practically all
the error is from thermally generated voltages.  I bet that this effect
would be hard to specify closely, so the manufacturer probably has no
choice but to give a wide tolerance.

If the shunt is not expensive/good enough, it might also have a poor
temperature coefficient.  You can see this if applying full scale makes
the reading drift, but the zero point remains stable.  Of course, a
particular DMM could have both problems.

Making the shunt value lower would decrease the burden voltage, but make
the thermal offset voltages proportionately larger, and they are already
a big enough problem.  Amplification will not help with this.

To measure low currents, at least up to 20 mA, you could use a feedback
type ammeter.  For example, Keithley Picoammeters and Electrometers have
burden voltages of <20uV to <5mV depending on model and range.

Regards,

Laurence Motteram