[volt-nuts] LTZ1000 reference appnote question

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Nov 8 13:09:06 UTC 2012

Assume that the diode isn't there, and the output of the
opamp starts out at negative 0.1 volt. None of the
semiconductor junctions will be active, so the 30K
resistor will feed negative current into the "+" input
of the opamp (positive feedback), and force the output
of the opamp to the negative rail.  The opamp will happily
stay that way because there is nothing to prevent it.

The diode keeps any negative voltages from the output
pin from reaching the noninverting input, and allows the
circuit to only start up in the positive direction.

-Chuck Harris