[volt-nuts] Fwd: Public Health Update: novel Corona virus update

DaveH info at blackmountainforge.com
Sat Oct 6 20:24:42 UTC 2012

Charles -- your computer probably is infected with malware.

You need to regularly keep your system up to date with the patches available
from Microsoft via the Windows Update -- new crap is coming out every day.

You visit a hostile web page and the page uses a known (and unpatched) flaw
in IE to install software on your system behind the scenes without your
knowledge.

This software looks at your email address list and sends out copies of
itself to everyone on the list with links to other hostile web pages.

I do not know what this particular bit of trash does but some of the malware
logs your keystrokes looking for 16 digit strings followed by 4 and 3 (your
credit card number, the date of expiration and the CIS code) and it will
email that data to it's parent system. It is possible to install stuff as
root -- this way, the process will never ever show up on the task manager
and killing it is a long involved process.

Anyone that has reports of email activity like this needs to disconnect
their computer from the internet, boot into safe mode and using another
system, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware application (the free version is
fantastic) and the latest definition file and using a thumb drive, bring it
over to the infected computer (running in safe mode with no network
connectivity) and install and run it.  That will take care of most of the
nasties out there.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

In the future, make sure that your computer is set up to auto-update on a
regular basis. When a new flaw is discovered, MSFT will work day and night
to fix it and offer a patch.  The sooner you update, the sooner you will get
this protection. Also, do not run anything earlier than Windows XP when
connected to the net -- MSFT is no longer supporting 95, 98, ME or 2000 and
systems running these will be exploited in 30 minutes or less. There are
known backdoors.

Also, do not let your kids "play" on your work computer, put together one
for them to use that has no email functions. A lot of the "free" online
games are just portals to malware.

Dave