[volt-nuts] HP 740A

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sat Oct 13 21:49:57 UTC 2012

I recently acquired for cheap an old HP 740A DC standard/voltmeter of
1960s vintage. It seems to be pretty clean inside and complete except
for missing a small bias cell. I'm trying to find a manual - found
the "B" version one so far at hparchive.

Before putting in much effort to fire it up, does anyone have
opinions on whether it's worth keeping and fixing - does it have
decent performance by today's standards, so to speak? There's a
sticker inside that showed that (sometime in the 1960s) the reference
deviation was no more than +/- 5 ppm recorded over a four week
period, under some kind of test conditions.

Ed