[volt-nuts] hp 3458a advice

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Wed Oct 17 04:18:19 UTC 2012

Paul,

The first thing I would recommend is to figure out how 'old' the device is.
Then I would take a look at the Agilent website for their Service Notes
(there are 17 of them) to see what might apply to your meter and get an idea
of what modifications might be needed to get the 'best' performance
possible.

I would also take a look at the Assembly Level Repair Manual (available on
the Agilent website) to see what assemblies are in question based on your
error messages.

You can look at the parts prices on the Agilent website since parts are
still available.  You can also find parts on theBay from time to time.
Teletek had some boards listed in recent weeks and might still.

Unless the Dallas chips have been changed on the A5 board, they are probably
dead and replacing them (about $15 each for 3, IIRC) would be the first
step.

It is a great meter and worthy of your best efforts.

The HPIB option is helpful but the calibration can be done from the front
panel.

ProLogix has a nice, easy to use, USB to GPIB adapter and there are some
programs out there to help you learn how to 'communicate' with it if you
want.

Good luck.

Joe