[volt-nuts] Lm399 heater

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Sep 15 02:01:26 UTC 2012

On 9/14/2012 8:04 PM, Fred Schneider wrote:
 > Is the heater from a LM399 regulated, so it stayes at 85 degrees or
 > is it just drawing an vast amount of current like a lightbulb ? So if
 > it gets hotter around the LM the heater temp stays the same ? ... > I
just building a refrence with it and If it is not regulated i want
 > to feed it through a current source

The datasheet shows heater current to be inversely proportional to
ambient temperature, so there's some level of regulation. I'd think that
trying to force a constant current wouldn't be significantly different
than not driving the heater at all (which is just the special case of
constant current = 0).