[volt-nuts] VS 330 circuit board oddity

r j rjinspace at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 04:37:04 EDT 2013

You could maybe search YT for "krohn hite". In one of the videos (the
Australian teardown-man) you can see the schematic for a similar unit. My
guess is that they are all built on the same topology. You have little need
to worry - the box in the video also has this DIY-look. The whole unit is
made from a current source, an 1N829 precision Zener, a (custom "DIY"-board
in the video) chopper amp and a precision divider. Very easy to calibrate
and very easy to repair/change for more modern components. What you have
bought is a fairly simple but good small-scale "lab-bench"-production
instrument with a lot of expensive precision resistors. The handwritten
label is for the precision diode. Normally it runs at 7.5 mA, but yours
seems to be fed 8.5. Imo you should have this box checked for possibly
sloppy repair and then calibrated. This unit is magnitude(s) more stable
then your MAX chip and the modern DMM (as I recall a Fluke?).  You have
paid quite a lot, but checked and calibrated this box will be just as
precise and stable for another 20 or more years.

Roy