[volt-nuts] Fluke differential meters

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Aug 7 06:10:53 EDT 2013

Hi Robert

Your comments reminded me that some years ago I bought a Fluke differential
 voltmeter and a hernia inducing struggle through other equipment to reach
it down from a shelf just confirmed it's an 893A.

I must admit I was more interested in the case when I bought it, sacrilege
I know but at least it looked too nice to take apart so did remain intact,
and I'm much more inclined now to leave it that way:-)

Component markings suggest this one dates from around 1984 and it  uses the
same style blue plastic switch wafers in the Kelvin-Varley divider  that
later became notorious for failing on the Redifon 551 HF receiver.
There are, or were, some references on line to repairing the switches  in
the 551 and I have seen the wafers offered for sale from time to time, I seem
 to recall they were also used in one version of the RS components
"make-a-switch" kit.
As far as I can tell from the manual though and unless I'm missing
something, which isn't entirely unkown:-), the voltage reference  consists of a
pair of zener diodes rather than a Weston cell.

Either way, I've just discovered one of the switches is jammed, the wafers
look ok and I don't recall it being jammed when I bought it so not sure why
 yet, but there goes what I already had planned for today:-)

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR