[volt-nuts] HP 3457A

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Aug 11 08:57:12 EDT 2013

Orrin wrote:

>Well, lets discuss the 3456A I got from goldenrubi,
>calibrated.  They send a calibration certificate which claims that
>their standards are traceable to NIST.  I have no reason to doubt that.

I happened upon one of the seller's auctions, so I checked that one
and several others.  In the boilerplate of each one I found this:

>WE WILL RE-CALIBRATED THE UNIT BEFORE SHIPPING AND A NIST TRACEABLE
>CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE, WILL BE PROVIDED AFTER ITEM IS RECEIVED AND
>IS ACCEPTED AS WORKING WITH IN SPECS. WE WILL MAIL OUT THE CERTIFICATE.

If I understand this correctly, I buy an instrument, the seller
"calibrates" it before shipment, but doesn't send the calibration
certificate with the item.  He mails it to me after I "accept[] [the
instrument] as working within specs."

So, I have to verify the calibration myself, and then this seller
will send me a "NIST traceable calibration certificate"???  Words
cannot express how irregular that sounds to me.  I'd be interested to
hear about any other NIST traceable calibration facility that works this way.

Best regards,

Charles