[volt-nuts] Calibration and Certification - Trust and detail

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Aug 11 20:58:35 EDT 2013

David wrote:

>How useful is this
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/281149723636 ?
>
>On the fact of it, the device would give one a reasonly high
>confidence something is working readlably well. I wonder if that is
>good enough for a 3457A.

Let's assume that it is still working exactly the same as it was when
it was calibrated.  The calibration values are recorded to 4-1/2
digits.  So the uncertainty is greater than the two LSDs of a
3457A.  Of course, it is almost certainly not working exactly the
same as it was when it was calibrated, which is going to put at least
the third LSD of a 3457A in question.  So it is good enough for a
3457A only if one is content with a 3-1/2 digit verification on a
6-1/2 digit instrument.

Best regards,

Charles