[volt-nuts] HP 3457A

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 14:14:20 EDT 2013

Hi Charles,
I've never heard of "leagal Tracability" in connection with calibration. Nist say "NIST adopts for its own use and recommends for use by others the definition of metrological traceability2 provided in the most recent version of the International Vocabulary of Metrology: "property of a measurement result whereby the result can be related to a reference through a documented unbroken chain of calibrations, each
contributing to the measurement uncertanty" (International Vocabulary of Metrology - Basic and General concepts and Associated Terms (VIM)"
No mention of accreditation there. Competence may be implied but it's not a requirement, Accreditation is typically a contractural obligation. I'm in the UK but do a lot of work to North American legislation. I've been quality manager of an FAA approved instrument shop. The biggest drivers for accreditation are quality systems like ISO9000 and AS9100. but they don't automatically improve quality.
Companies overcalibrate lots of equipment. A good example is bench power supplies. An indication only sticker and use of a DMM when it's critical is all that is required.
A similar misconeption is the requirement for portable appliance testing (PAT) in the UK. There is no requirement for testing, just an obligation to ensure equipment is safe. Having a test program does not reduce liability in the case of an accident. It's the insurance companies who want testing. It used to be a similar situation with UL approval in the USA, but that is changing as individual States bring in legislation.

Robert G8RPI.