[volt-nuts] Agilent calibration

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 01:14:14 EDT 2013

On 14 August 2013 04:39, Orin Eman <orin.eman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at: cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-5729ENA1.pdf
>
> It's well hidden on the Agilent web site, but if you dig enough, you'll
> find it.
>
> You should get the "As Received" data for all Agilent calibrations.  You
> only get the "As Shipped" data if they did any adjustments.
>
> Orin.

I wonder what happens if one parameter is off - do they adjust all
other parameters? My VNA will go to Agilent today or tommorow. If the
frequency reference was a bit off, would they adjust every parameter
in that fairly complex instrument, or just the frequency reference? I
guess in principle, a change of the frequency could have any effect on
everyhing. The instrument has a specified frequency range of 50 MHz to
20 GHz. If the frequency was high by 10% (exhagerated of course), the
other parameters would have been tested over the range 55 MHz to 22
GHz, so really they need rechecking, as it could be out of spec at the
lower limit.

Like at least some others, I would prefer an instrument was adjusted
to be as accurate as possible, but I'd still rather pay Agilent to cal
it than some random lab. I think it does depend someone on the
instrument though. I would not send a 5.5 digit DVM to agilent for
cal.

Dave