[volt-nuts] Fluke 895A

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Aug 14 02:43:24 EDT 2013

Joe wrote:

>Just messing around, I measured a used 9 V battery. On the 100 uV
>scale and with some interprolating of the last dial, I read 9.189795
>V at null (with a tiny bit of wobble on the needle).

Reading an 895A to 7 significant figures is a case of "false
precision," which can lead to overconfidence in the accuracy of
measurement results.  Fluke specifies the accuracy of the 895A in
differential mode as +/- (0.0025% of input + 0.0001% of range + 5 uV)
at calibration temperature (around +/- 250 uV uncertainty for the
measurement you describe), with calibration recommended every 30 days
to maintain that accuracy.

Best regards,

Charles