[volt-nuts] Fluke 732A Questions

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Tue Dec 31 20:13:23 EST 2013

Bill,

I have yet to put my 732A though it's paces but I could connect an external
power supply, disconnect the AC supply and the battery module and slowly
decrease the supplied voltage and see what happens when.

I'll try your measurement algorithm for the battery to see when the 'IN CAL'
LED goes out and what the current draws are.  If the measured voltage at J10
is 27 V, then the actual battery voltage should be about 27.6 V, accounting
for the diode in the circuit (unless the current draw during measurement is
so low that no voltage drop occurs across the diode).

I found the NIST/NBS Tech Note easily.

I think if I decide to send it out for calibration, I'll use Fluke, if they
still calibrate the unit.  I'll call them later this week of next week to
see what services/accessories they might still have available.

Yes, I wound up with the 735C.  It was easy to replace the NiCd battery pack
and bring it 'on scale' by adjusting the 'jumpers' and the front panel
adjustment.  I now only have to deal with the periodic 'NO CAL' LED
indication.  I need to study the 732A manual then take a close look at the
735C to see how it works on it.

This also brings up the question of 'low EMF cables' for accurate
measurement.  I have a Fluke 720A K/V Divider on the shelf that I have yet
to bring out to check to see if it is operational.  Another one of those
'projects' for a later time.

Where would one look for 'low EMF cables' to be used in precise measurement
experiments and what errors might one expect to find using Pomona gold
plated Banana Plug cables (which is as good as I have at this time)?

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year to all.

Joe