[volt-nuts] What really gets calibrated?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sun Jul 28 18:42:59 EDT 2013

Joe,

I agree with your analysis of 'calibration' and 'adjustment'.  However, if a
piece of equipment was able to meet a higher specification, I would suspect
the manufacturer would have claimed that.

The benefit of the 'as found' and 'as left' measurements is that it tells
you not only whether the unit is 'in spec' but also where it is in the
range.  Might be useful.

All of this, of course, is dependent of the 'quality' of the 'standard' that
is used to compare with.  That is probably where the price goes up and the
'metrolophilosophy' comes in.  In other words, do you trust your 'cal lab'?

Good luck.

Joe