[volt-nuts] Cal labs

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Sun Jul 28 20:44:01 EDT 2013

I found that there are at least two cal labs in El Paso, which is
reasonably close to me. One, Techmaster Electronics has pricing listed (I
hate it when everyone says "contact us for a quote"). The other is
MetroCal, which lists no information at all.

Has anyone used either of these companies? What is your opinion?

For a 3478A, Techmaster lists the following prices:

ISO 9001 = $50
Z540 = $175
ISO 17025 = $275

Now, I realize that these are various standards. Without me having to read
reams of standards documents, can someone tell me briefly what the
difference is and which of these do I need as a hobbyist and potential volt
nut? Also, they have a column heading of "Level" and for the 3478A, it
lists level 4. What does this mean?

They also list the EDC MV106, starting at $100. I'll have to contact them
about the EDC VS330.

Boy, just what I needed. Another hobby that costs money :-)

Joe Gray
W5JG