[volt-nuts] What really gets calibrated?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Jul 29 03:25:57 EDT 2013

On 28 July 2013 23:15, Joseph Gray <jgray at zianet.com> wrote:
> I recently had it explained to me that "calibration" is really just
> checking a piece of gear against a known standard, to see if it meets the
> manufacturers specification. If it is outside specified values, then it
> gets "adjusted", not "calibrated".

I think it depends somewhat on who cals it, and under what conditions
are stated.

I think if something is specified with an uncertainty of 10%, and is
found to be 9.9% off, then I feel it should be adjusted as it is close
to the limits of being acceptable, even though it is within spec.

Certainly with Agilent, you will pay more for the cal if you want both
"before" and "after" data.

Dave