[volt-nuts] A new LTZ1000A transfer standard is born

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Sun Mar 3 16:12:21 EST 2013

Hello Hendrik,

the first what I would do is some qualification measurements:
since the pricing within the bay is lower as on original manufacturer
they might either be recycled parts or the remaining parts after selection
for instruments.

On my references I did the following tests:
- noise (does it have the 1.2uVpp?)
- temperature test: how large is the temperature drift
  if you have a temperature chamber this will ease the test.
  I only have a thermoelectric cooling / heating box for around 10-40°
centigrade.
- Temperature setpoint test: how large is the tempco of the unstabilized
reference if you do a 10 degree setpoint offset.
   (is usually around 50ppm/K)
- Power supply voltage rejection test
- Influence on EMC (sensibility on capacitive influence by your hand)
- Tilt test (described here from Frank)
I hope that I didnt miss any...

Did you already clean the pcb?
Did you pre-age the resistors before mounting?
Is the LT1013 within a hermetically housing?

After qualification tests and if I had a thermal chamber
I would first do some pre-ageing (thermal cycling) for at least 1-2 weeks
with daily measurement of the voltage.
After this at least further 1000-4000 hours continuously powered to
stabilize.

> measurements for a few days, although I think that the drift+noise from
> the HP reference and my LTZ are quite close

But: the HP reference has already stabilized and is not freshly soldered.

I would do a final calibration after around 6 months continuously operation.

And if you populate the 2nd PCB you can make difference measurements
in a voltage range with higher resolution on your HP3456 (perhaps 0.1uV in
200mV range).

With best regards

Andreas