[volt-nuts] The Fluke 732A DC Reference Standard

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Tue Nov 5 10:49:29 EST 2013

Roy,
    I have a later manual for the 732A.  P/N 788414 May 1986.  This manual shows the little 3 pin connector labeled J10 for the battery module.  The parts list shows a Fluke stock #720844, Mfg 89536 (Fluke) and Mfg P/N 720844.  I have long since removed it from my 732As and replaced it with two minature banana jacks (2.64mm) red and black.  There seems to be some sort of Mfg mark on the 3 pin connector but I cannot identify it ( I saved the old 3pin connectors).  If the manual you downloaded is from the Fluke website and is named "732A____imeng0000.pdf" or "732A_Users_Manual.pdf" you will see a "Change/Errata Information, 7/85" list in the front of the file.  Change #5 changes the battery connections to the spade lugs and Change #6 changes the banana jacks to the 3 pin connector.
You were very wise in removing some metal from the top plate to allow plenty of room for the spade lugs on the new batteries.  I didn't do this intially and one of the battery terminals shorted to the metal plate and fried the + 18 volt regulator assembly, which took a few days to fix.  My opinion of the 732A vs. the 732B is that since the 732A has been around longer the references have had a longer time to stabilize.  The only issue I know of 732A vs. 732B is the battery life.  The 732A battery life is around 12 to 15 hours without being powered.  The 732B specs the battery life at around 72 hours.  This makes it easier to get it to Fluke in Everett WA without losing the "IN CAL" light.  My experience is that even when started from cold after being off for a long period of time they will stabilze at exactly the voltage they had when the power was turned off.  It does take a few days however.
Bill