[volt-nuts] Fluke 845AB / 845AR neon bulb xref

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 14:12:27 EST 2013

One possible issue with replacement lamps is the presence or otherwise of radioactive material in the lamp. Many glow lamps (and gas filled voltage regulators) have radioactive isotopes added to the gas fill or electrodes to maintain a low level of ionisation when "off" and thus allow consistent triggering. It's particuarly relevant to lamps that are kept in the dark such as these choppers (light also helps triggering). The amount and type of isotope used can vary even with the same part number and maker, depending on what was available (or cheap) at the time and place of manufacture. Another issue is that all radioactive isotopes decay, some more quickly than others. Krypton 85 was sometimes used  as a fill gas additive and has a half-life of about 10.75 years. so after 21.5 years only a quarter of the activity is left. This could cause a NOS lamp not to function as expected. So if there is a known good batch / brand it's worth sticking with.
In case you haven't guessed, I'm also a radiation nut.

Robert G8RPI.