[volt-nuts] HP 3458A repair.

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 19:47:04 EDT 2013

Thanks for all your comments.

Gary said he had 39 years invested in HP/Agilent. He would like us to all
send our problems to him and he would get them fixed. I would like to do
that as well but $2600 +$1600 for the cal I need gets makes the 99%
calibrated meter book value very low. I do know they need to make money but
I would rather be able to buy the AC board for $1000 than pay the $2600. I
am quite cheep that way.

I have an other 3458A and the data that tells me how this meter was. I have
several 3325As. We should be able to do some before and after readings. I
would like to fix this one but we may end up sending the other 3458A in and
just using this one here. It does not have a sticker but it does show our
cal was withing spec which is an indirect cal check of our standards.

I am sure that all the US line people would rather have the meter line
here. I talked with someone like Gary if not Gary about 2 years ago. I was
having a problem with the reference drift.  He said he was tired of
training people and having them leave. The new crew did not know how to run
the josephson junction.  They also had a problems with the aged reference.
When they met spec they were "harvested" and expected to stay in spec...
(thinking like an MBA) they did not. They have to be burned in and screened
for stability.
They loose stability in the parts bin. They have to be run for a few weeks
to get back to where they were.

John Phillips