[volt-nuts] current-nut question .. total waste of ones time type question

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Apr 29 20:08:23 EDT 2014

Hi Pete:

I did this may decades ago.

1) Do not use clamp on current probes, they have very poor accuracy at low currents.

2) Rather than using a current monitor on each circuit just use two current sensors, one on each input leg.

3) Current transformers MUST be terminated with some load resistance, i.e. they transform an input current into an
output current which gets changed to an output voltage by the load resistor.  I put the load resistor close to the
current transformer so that a break in the long cable would not cause a problem.

4) I plotted current use on an 8.5 x 11 paper in landscape mode. Each trace was offset from the prior trace by about
1/4".  At night when not much is happening  you just have a bunch of straight lines, except for the frig which has a
regular cycle. But if someone gets up at night you can tell.

Smart meters can provide data every  15 minutes, if they are in a network.  My smart meter gets read manually so no data.
http://www.prc68.com/I/SmartMeters.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com