[volt-nuts] New HP3458A

Randy Evans randyevans2688 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 21:39:40 EDT 2014

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my query on what to look for
in my "new" HP-3458.  I did find that the AUTO ZERO button does work fine,
thanks to Bill's comments.  I had looked in the manual, just not far
enough.

The display is still perfectly readable but i would like it to be
"perfect".  I am particularly interested in the exchange display for $272
(better than $700 for a new one, as Todd suggested).  Does someone have a
contact number at Keysight that I could call (my experience is that one can
spend a lot of time calling around until the right person is finally
found).

I certainly need to figure out how to copy and replace  the NVRAM - I lost
the calibration on my Datron 1082 by not realizing the memory backup
battery died and now I need to calibrate it myself (the HP3458A should make
that doable, I hope).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I
believe it has been covered before on Volt-Nuts and I need to go through
the past discussions to find it.

One question I have for the group is what should the display typically show
with the input shorted?  I see a reading of about -.0025 mV.  That seems
rather high.  I tried several different banana cables (gold plated, tin
plated) used to short the input terminals  to see if thermocouple effects
might be responsible but there was no change in the reading.

Still learning.

Thanks,

Randy