[volt-nuts] What's All This Low Thermal EMF Test Lead Stuff?

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Wed Aug 20 04:57:09 EDT 2014

if you buy a voltage source that is cal'ed to 6ppm you do not end uop with a factor of 10 (60ppm). the fatcor of 10 is often used to be on the safe side, but in high percision cals 10 is not achievable anyways. some mil standards call for 4, but what you should do is to analyze the error propagation and then determine the likely final uncertainty (you would do this with a certain confidence level, say 95% which is usual). so you would look at the different contributors (temo variation, aging since call'ed, error due to emf voltage and so on). you would add these up by the rss (root sum square) method.
there is a lot of literature out there for this, also free on the net, and it would not be possible to describe the details here, but I would suggest to do this, as the real error will be much better I am sure.