[volt-nuts] HP 3458A Mem test 1 hight. How do you read 32K memory chips?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Wed Aug 20 22:08:07 EDT 2014

John,

I don't think I would worry too much about messing up the 'CALRAM'.  If you
'mess up' the 'CALRAM', and your meter is, otherwise, OK, you will spend
about $500 with Keysight for a 'Keysight' calibration, which I would
recommend.

If they get your meter and it is not 'suitable' for calibration (meaning
that, in some way, it's 'broken'), you will be notified and offered the
option of having them 'repair' the meter (for about $2700, which includes
the 'Keysight' calibration) or returning the meter to you for your repair at
a cost of half the calibration charge, IIRC.

The key point about reading these NVRAM's is to, first and foremost, let the
chips cool after removal before trying to read them.  I learned about that
the hard way.

Second, make sure your programmer specifically supports the chip you are
trying to read and program.  If so, reading then archiving the data should
be straight forward and programming a new chip should be equally straight
forward.

I am not familiar with the 'Mem test 1 high' issue but I suspect the
Assembly Level Repair Manual or the Component Level Repair Manual should
address the issue.  I agree with others that this likely means that, in some
way, your meter is 'broken'.  If you can chase that down to a simple problem
and repair it, getting the calibration with Keysight would be the next order
of business.  Once it passes calibration, you would be able to purchase the
'Repair Agreement' for a couple hundred dollars per year, with a discount
for multiple year purchases up to a maximum of 5, IIRC, which gives you a
meter with a 'factory warranty' for that time period.

Personally, I would look for a 'professional' programmer rather than one of
the 'cheaper' ones, especially if you are anticipating getting into vintage
equipment and programming EPROM's, etc.  BP Micro, Advin, DATA I/O, Elnec,
etc., would ones I would look for.  I'm sure others on the list would have
their own recommendations.  The prices on theBay right now are particularly
ridiculous but good deals can be had.  The majority of these units use
parallel port connections and need WinXP as the OS.  The later versions,
starting around $500 will connect via USB and be able to utilize Win7 or
Win8.

Good luck.

Joe