[volt-nuts] 732A drift

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Aug 23 06:42:20 EDT 2014

Randy,

The 'IN CAL' LED is turned on as Todd describes.  It goes off if power to
the unit is lost and, thus, calibration is lost.  It is not related to the
battery charge LED.

As I understand it, the units are designed to powered on 24/7/365 and are
'IN CAL' once they are powered up, stable (weeks, months?), and have been
calibrated by your reference lab.  Once power is lost, meaning lost AC and
batteries depleted, the 'IN CAL' light goes out and outputs are thereafter
unreliable.

Once you decide to get the 732A calibrated, you will need to find a way to
ship it to the reference lab and get it shipped back while continuously
powered, connecting an external battery pack to the connector on the back of
the battery pack.  The internal battery pack is likely to last only a few
hours.

There are at least two types of connectors for an external battery, two 5
way binding posts and a Hypertronics connector which is a small black
connector about 'dime' sized.  I can find the part number for the mating
connector if you need it.

I think the +/- 1 uV drift with the 10 V output and the 3458A are within
specs for both the 732A and 3458A.

Not sure what to think about the drift on the other readings unless there is
some sort of 'dirt' on the 1 V and 1.018 V binding posts and/or ground.

Good luck.

Joe