[volt-nuts] 732A and Prologix received

Don@True-Cal truecalservices at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:02:27 EDT 2014

Tellurium Copper is usually not used for a device's terminal posts but used as the lead wire due, as you say, for the malleability to crimp well and flexibility. The point I was making is to use the same interconnect test lead material throughout as the DUT terminal posts. The 3458A and the 732A both use Beryllium Copper alloy making that type interconnect lug or plug the best choice to minimize the dissimilar metal EMF or Seebeck voltage. The 34420A uses pure copper rather than an alloy terminal and for the same reason, minimal Seebeck voltage is realized with a pure copper interconnect. Any type of Silver or Gold plating on the terminal or wire will introduce the undesirable  dissimilar metal properties, both at the plating junction and at the plating metal to DUT terminal.

The NI website had this chart that quantifies the Seebeck voltage best:
"When two, dissimilar metals are joined a voltage is created. This voltage is known as the thermal electromotive force (EMF) or the Seebeck voltage. The Seebeck voltage is dependent on the temperature of the junction and the composition of the metals joined. The specific metal-to-metal junctions result in specific temperature coefficients (µV/°C), also known as Seebeck coefficients. The following table lists the most common metals and their respective Seebeck coefficients."

Junction		µV/°C
Copper-Copper		<0.3
Copper-Gold		0.5
Copper-Silver		0.5
Copper-Brass		3
Copper-Nickel		10
Copper-Lead-Tin Solder 1-3
Copper-Aluminum	5
Copper-Kovar		40
Copper-Copper Oxide	>500

Granted, Gold and Silver are the next best choice, and is certainly why they are satisfactory, but using either warrants a more critical temperature gradient issue. If your measurements were satisfactorily convincing, than you probably had no appreciable junction temperature differences.

Don Johnson