[volt-nuts] AC calibration

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 15:05:51 EDT 2014

fred,
generally you raise a good point, I had the same issue of calibrating an ac voltage to a high level of accuracy. you need this e.g. to validate the self.cal of a 3458a or other precison stuff like the 8506a0.

what i would recommend to do if you want to keep costs down is:
in a nutshell, get a thermal converter in the lowest range you need and a second one on range above. build a set of resistor range extenders (rf type with appropriate connectors and housings) to expand the range to where you need to be max. get one of the thermal converter calibrated (the higher one usually, and you need to havr  good cal lab, should be <10ppm accuracy) and use it to calibrate the rest. generally, up to 20khz, the accuracy is some 20 ppm anyway for thermal converters! at higher frequencies, due to reflections and stray capacitance/inductance influences, the accuracy decreases. the resistor range extenders though, if build up correctly, only have a few ppm impact (there is a paper from nist on that, but this is only typical). you can calibrate all converters to the one you got externally calibrated. do some research in the web, when you do the calibration, you need to determine the so-called constant N. then do an ac, dc+, ac, dc-, ac measurement between the the two and establish the deviation, also establish the error propagation. the end result will be a set of highly precise (low inaccuracies9 thermal converters good enough to calibrate a 3458a an better devices. if you want to spend the money, you could also buy a set of converters/range resistors (with/without a 540), that typically is a few k altogether, while a single device sometimes is available for below 100 bucks. you need to have a stable 7.5 digit nanovoltmeter though for the measurements of the tvcs (34420a or 2182 typically ) and precision (stable) dc and ac sources. but in the end, all you need is a single calibrated thermal converter.

adrian