[volt-nuts] Multimeter input terminal wear

jhummel73 jhummel73 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 04:19:43 EST 2014

Bob Albert <bob91343 at ...> writes:

> I don't think it makes a lot of difference.  I have some meters that are
as old as I am and they still work
> fine.  If there is a problem, it's probably due to poor materials and
being careful isn't going to save
> much life.
>
> In fact, the plugs have springs that also can fatigue.  Often what seems
like a jack problem is really a plug
> problem, and a new plug may fix it.
>
> And finally, there are other things in these units that limit life as
well, and there isn't a whole lot you can
> do about it.  I recently had to replace the copper oxide rectifier in my
Simpson 260 in order to get the AC
> ranges working properly again.  And there is the question whether the
switches should be exercised
> periodically to remove oxide, or if that causes too much wear.
>
> Bob
>
> On Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:33 AM, "Marv  <at>  Home" <marvin.gozum
<at> comcast.net> wrote:

> I have some >30+ year old devices still in operation and over time,
> dirt and less so, oxidation of the contact surfaces, are more
> problems than the integrity of the jack's connection by
> friction.  Manufacturers and counterfeiter can make very poor jacks,
> but the good ones have been trouble free.
>
> When specified, the spec sheet entry for jack 'wear' is called
> "mating durability cycles" or variations in those words.  The typical
> brand name banana jack is rated to > 10,000 mating cycles, i.e,
> connect-disconnect.  Thus, is would imply the less you un/mate it,
> the longer it last.
>
> At 06:37 AM 8/16/2014, Andrea Baldoni wrote:
> >Hello!
> >
> >When the multimeter is not in use for some time (say, a day), do you
> >think it's
> >better to leave the banana plugs inserted, or to take them out?
> >There is a certain wear in plugging and unplugging, but letting
> >always in could
> >enlarge the input jacks as well.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Andrea Baldoni

I am wondering Bob, where you got the replacement for the copper oxide
rectifier.   I have a bad one too and it seems it be obsolete. Did you use
two germanium diodes and trim pots instead?  I have read about this but not
sure exactly how it is done.
thanks. JHummel73