[volt-nuts] The "averaging reference"

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 17:59:34 EST 2014

On 20 Dec 2014 21:18, "Joel Setton" <setton at free.fr> wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Thanks for a good summary f the pros/cons. Of course the LTZ1000 is much
closer to the current state of the art, but the REF102 is far easier to use
and to calibrate. I'm definitely not shooting for sub-ppm performance, if I
can build anything that stays within (say) 20 ppm long-term, that would be
more than adequate as a home standard.

> One thing I don't like about the LM199 and LTZ1000 is that although they
are stable, they are sold uncalibrated. As a result, building a 10-V
reference with either of them would require at least two very stable
resistors, one of which must be selected within a range of several percent
to get an accurate 10V output.

I suspect if you built something very stable using an LTZ1000, it would be
possible to get one or more volt-nut with a 3458A or similar to measure it
for you.
You could even average the result from several volt nuts.

Dave.